Friday, February 26, 2010

Porter's First Book

I love this stage that Porter is in. He is still little but not as fragile as when they are brand new born. He is VERY aware and I feel like he can see everything I can see in the room. AND he still sleeps quite a bit! It's fun b/c he is big enough to laugh when I tickle him and he likes to be entertained somtimes...like Judd holds him on his lap when he watches the basketball games and he is totally content watching TV! haha

So today I was running out of ideas of fun things to do with Porter. I mean I know he is still so tiny, but I think that he likes to be entertained with new things. We have the same tickle routine, the same morning routine, and tummy time is always the same...sometimes I switch the blankets he lays on so he can look at something different. I also read that you can lay them down in a room a different way so they have a different perspective, (different things to look at.)

For example... When I lay Porter in his bassinet and it's not nap time he crys almost instantly. But if I lay him in it with his head where his feet usually are, than he is happy for 5 min or more. So the other day I put him in Jackson's room on Jackson's bed...He was happy in there for probably 10-15min because he has never really been put down in there before. So it just buys me some time to get something done, or spend some alone time with Jackson. Plus it's stimulating for Porter!! it's a win win.

Anyway, this morning I thought I would read Porter a book!! I proped him up and he looked at each page! I read him exactly what it said on the page b/c I read somewhere that you should read to them even though they don't understand because your voice gets in a rhythem and they love it! well Porter LOVED it! I don't think I started reading to Jackson until he was 6 months or somthing. So Porter will have a headstart (he's only 3 months old) So now I am excited to add somthing else to out daily routine!

So if you have a little baby or are going to have a little baby there are some ideas for how to entertain them!

4 comments:

Amiee said...

We love reading books too! I started reading to both my kids when they were newborns and they've loved it ever since! Glad Porter is loving it too!

Hilary and Kevin said...

Good for you Sarah! You are so right about the books - it does help give them a headstart! I love the changing position in the bassinet idea.

Jack and Jenay said...

He's not really getting potty trained. He showed some interest so I got him a potty chair, but I'm not pushing it. I don't think he is old enough to understand if he wet his pants and got in trouble. So I'm letting him go at his own pace and then after the baby comes we'll go full force.
And thanks, it was really good to see all my family. We had so many family members drive up to come. It was great.

LaRance family said...

Oh Sarah! I just love you! Thanks for the super long comments. First off, Gene's hair was really curly when he was little so that's way Landon's hair is so curly. And next I really wish you could have been there with us too. I really miss you and want to see your cute kids!

As for Niki, her boyfriend is from Rexbug. That's where they met, but they are living here now.