Friday, February 12, 2010

MOTLEN LAVA CAKES!

Last night was our Relief Society activity and I wanted to make these Molten Lava Cakes! But I knew it would take some experamenting because they are best when baked in individual custard dishes and I didn't have any. (Which is now a new item on my wishlist.) All I have are muffin cup pans. So I started making them early. I knew I would need to bake them for less time because the muffin cups are about half the size of a custard cup. So I made the batter and used most of it to fill one sheet of muffins, so 12. And I put them in for 12 minutes. I was SO excited, I popped them out of the muffin cups and cut into them waiting for the chocolate lava to OOOoze out and nothing! I had baked them too long! Just barely. So I was out of eggs and chocolate and was wondering if it was worth going to the store JUST for these. It only took me 5 minutes to decide, Yes!

So I made the batter again and decided to use my OTHER muffin tin, becuase this tin was dark (Which I hate! I hate to bake anything on those dark pans! cookies, cakes, the edges and bottoms ALWAYS turn black, when everything else is perfect. It makes everything look UGLY. So don't buy dark pans, or dark muffin tins, or dark cookie sheets! don't do it!) And I noticed the muffin cups were slightly bigger on this sheet.

Another mistake: with the first batch I only filled them half full and some 2/3 full to see how much they would puff out of the muffing cup. They didn't rise AT ALL. (duh to me, I made them and there is no baking pwd or baking soda, so of COURSE they wouldn't rise!) So this time I filled them almost to the very top and baked then for 10 min. on the dot. and.....Vuala! they turned out purfect. Better yet I finished them 10 min before it was time to go.

and guess what? Not a single one was left! They all got eatten. Which I feel like I deserve since I had to make them twice! haha

Practice makes perfect!

5 comments:

Margaret said...

pictures please. i looooooove that cake when chilies makes it, so maybe i can make it for less??

Gena said...

Sounds good. I'll have to get your recipe. Wish I could've made it there - too hard to bring Avie! Is that why you didn't make the pizza night?

Emily said...

I love reading your posts about food. You really are a good cook. I am jealous I didn't get any. I'd ask for the recipe but I don't even have a muffin tin here. How sad is that life? lol

Emily said...

http://schmittfamily-tm.blogspot.com/
Michelle's blog

Moses Family said...

Good for you chef Sarah! I want a bite:)